Pages

Welcome!

Hi, Salam! We love cakes and simplicity! Cakes don't have to be fancy or rustic to taste nice though there's nothing wrong with that! Wanna cake? Feel like eating cakes? A the end of the week treat for yourself? Just as an excuse to get together with family or friends? Or a lovely surprise for a special someone? Contact us.
There also some recipes featured here, but no, no, we didn't create them. Links to the original sites are provided. If there isn't any, we are very grateful for the links but sorry that it got lost or forgotten.

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Eggless Caramel Pudding

Pretty hot these days, leaving us feeling parched and amazingly what comes to mind or to be exact what your tummy needs is something really cold and sweet. The answer is ... ice cream!!
But after that nice coldness comes the warmth again, it doesn't last long and another helping is well a little too much eh?
After all how much ice cream can one eat? It depends on who you're asking, an ice cream lover who definitely say endless tubs, where else some might say depends on the flavor!
Me personally, a few years back I enjoyed Swensen's Earthquake despite shivering, teeth chattering and all as I bravely finished every last scoop, but now I would say about 2 scoops is the most I can eat. But then again it depends... on many other things! LOL
Enough ramblings and back to the puds. Puddings, hmm... most of us have each a fair share in our life time.
Bread puddings, steamed puddings, sticky toffee puddings dan lain lain. All my life I have eaten caramel puddings that had eggs.
I am not a fan of eggs, unless of course it is well mixed in the food. I know this sounds snobbish but I only eat the caramel puddings made at home, that has lots of vanilla and not too sweet.
So when I came across aku bukan master chef's Eggless Caramel Pudding in his blog I was naturally intrigued and immediately wanted to try it out.
But alas, time was not on my side nor the ingredients so  I had to wait and shopped for the stuff first.





Just look how smooth the texture of the pudding is, mmm... delicious! But wait before I go into the recipe let me say that this wasn't my first attempt.

I'm human too, and to err is human.
My first attempt at the eggless caramel pudding was a awful, it was a disaster. I admit in my haste I didn't read the recipe carefully and as a result a simply pudding turned out wrong. It didn't hardened and was way too sweet (the result of misreading measurements!!), so sadly it ended up in the bin.

I waited for a few days to calm down before tackling this pudding once more. I told myself that if I failed again this time, I'd move on to another recipe or find a better one.
I have tried several of abm's recipes before and they turned out well, so all mistakes are mine and mine alone.

This time around, I read and measured everything very carefully, took my time to do it and thanks to God I made it! Yay!
It was very well received by the masses, even mum said it was delicious! Now pleasing my mum, who is a perfectionist and a very picky and fussy eater is very difficult. So, we have a saying -  if mummy kata sedap, sedaplah tu! 


Don't go through the hassle of weighting the agar-agar powder. In the shops I found out that there are 2 brands selling agar-agar powder, one is Nona and the other is Swallow.
They are both yellow packets.
I got this on Google, the label isn't so clear but it looks like this.


Don't use the Konnyaku Jelly, that is completely different.
Read the labels carefully, Nona is only 8g but Swallow is 10g. So as the recipe requires one packet of Swallow is enough.
Another thing, make sure you pick the one that says CLEAR, don't pick the colored ones or you'll get a colorful pudding.
Don't add the custard powder all at one go. Mix the custard powder with one cup of the four cups of water before adding it to the pot to avoid lumps.

This pudding also doesn't require any baking! Just a little cooking over the flame, pour into moulds or tins and chill in the fridge.

Here is the recipe and I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we all did!





Eggless Caramel Pudding
source: Aku Bukan Masterchef

A
4 Tbsp sugar

B
10g agar-agar powder
1/2 cup sugar
4 cups water
1/2 cup condensed milk
1 tin evaporated milk (about 390g)
but abm used 400 ml fresh milk. I used 400 ml low fat milk.
3 Tbsp custard powder
1 tsp vanilla


Method
First pour A into the cake pan you intend to make the pudding in.
I used a round 22 cm cake tin. Over a low flame slowly caramelized the sugar.
This requires patience, be careful not to burn the sugar or you'll end up with a bitter pudding.
As tempting as it is, don't stir the sugar. Some parts might burn faster, so just slowly tip the tin
a little to help the process along.
Once all the sugar has turned a deep amber color and melted, it is caramelized.
Switched off the fire and remove the tin. Put it aside and let it cool, the caramel will hardened but don't worry.
Next in a pot, you'll need a medium size pot and put in all the ingredients.
Cook over medium heat and whisk slowly. This pudding burns easily so don't leave the pot.
Keep stirring until the mixture thickens up.
It'll take a few minutes, the mixture will start to thicken. Keep stirring to avoid lumps and when it starts to bubble switch off the fire and immediately pour into the tin with the caramelized sugar.
abm recommended using a strainer but I forgot and just poured the whole thing in.
Leave the pudding to cool slightly before chilling it in the fridge for about 3 hours.
After 3 hours, to serve ...
Use a plate larger than the tin and place it over the tin. Slowly turn the tin upside down and allow the pudding to slip out. Be careful of the syrup that flows out with it. This pudding cuts beautifully too.




Happy Baking umm.. eating!




No comments:

Post a Comment