Pages

Welcome!

Hi, Salam! We love cakes and simplicity! Cakes don't have to be fancy or rustic to taste nice though there's nothing wrong with that! Wanna cake? Feel like eating cakes? A the end of the week treat for yourself? Just as an excuse to get together with family or friends? Or a lovely surprise for a special someone? Contact us.
There also some recipes featured here, but no, no, we didn't create them. Links to the original sites are provided. If there isn't any, we are very grateful for the links but sorry that it got lost or forgotten.

Wednesday 19 February 2014

Apple Pie

Apples are usually eaten raw, and I love them skin and all, green or red or pink... But maybe not the core.
Baking them is lovely too and today I have an apple pie recipe to share.
Normally I stick to a very old apple pie recipe handed down to me by my mum. She loves apple pie and especially that particular recipe.

I decided to use some left over shortcrust pastry from which I made some pastry shells for mini fruit tarlets and there were some apples wrinkling in the fridge... and try out another recipe for apple pie.
I often see the chefs on T.V baking the pie without even cooking the apples or covering the apples with pastry and wondered how they tasted. After flipping over several recipe books and apple pie recipes I found one to my liking but I tweaked it to my taste.
Thank you very much to Alex Goh. (This book is a part of several series from him but unfortunately the publishers didn't reprint any of them, but you can still find some of it in another compilation by another publisher)


Okay although  I chose his Pear Frangipane (Alex Goh - Irresistible Pastry) but I made it into an apple pie. He made his own custard for the filling but I opted for the instant and quicker way! Below is the the apple pie recipe with the changes I made. I know, it is a bit confusing but bear with me.
*Apples & book images courtesy Google.

Apple Pie

Shortcrust Pastry B source Alex Goh, Irresistible Pastry.
250g flour
150g butter/margarine
2 Tbsp butter
1 egg yolk
40g butter

Method
Mix butter and flour until crumbly.
Add in egg yolk and sugar, then add in water and mix to form a dough.
Wrap in plastic sheet and refrigerate for 30 min.
Take out and roll the dough to desired thickness.
Cover the greased pie dish, and if you like crimp the edges and prick the surface with a fork to allow steam to escape.
egg yolk

cubed cold butter

flour and butter

flour, butter, egg yolk, water and sugar mix well to form a dough

shape dough into a ball, cling wrap it and chill in fridge for 30 min

once chill, roll out dough onto greased pie dish





Filling
4 cups of milk
6 Tbsp custard powder
1 tsp vanilla
sugar to taste

6 apples, cored, and sliced thinly.

Apricot Glaze ( I didn't have any apricot jam, so I used marmalade instead)
150g apricot glaze
80g hot water
Double boil apricot glaze and water until glaze melts.


Method
In a pot pour about 1/3 of the milk first and add the custard powder. Mix well so there are no lumps before adding the rest of the milk. Cook over medium heat and add sugar and vanilla. Keep stirring, as custard tend to burn easily. The mixture will thicken and keep stirring until it cooks. Take off fire and cool.
I'm sorry I didn't take pics for the custard or apricot glaze.

Assembling the pie.
Pour the cooled custard into the pie dish. Use a spatula to level the custard before arranging the slices of apples on top of it.
Bake at 150 C for 30 min.

Once the pie is cooled, brush the jam glaze over the apples. This will make the apples glossy and more delicious.


The masses had gotten to the pie by the time I snapped this!




Happy Baking.




No comments:

Post a Comment