Pages

Welcome!

Hi, Salam! We love cakes and simplicity! Cakes don't have to be fancy or rustic to taste nice though there's nothing wrong with that! Wanna cake? Feel like eating cakes? A the end of the week treat for yourself? Just as an excuse to get together with family or friends? Or a lovely surprise for a special someone? Contact us.
There also some recipes featured here, but no, no, we didn't create them. Links to the original sites are provided. If there isn't any, we are very grateful for the links but sorry that it got lost or forgotten.

Thursday 12 December 2013

Apple Crumble Pie

Apples, oh apples! We have more than a few lovely green apples in the fridge... At first we made juice out of it and ate some on its own or with kuah rojak. Mum even went and bought some more, I too am guilty of adding more apples when I greedily grab a bag when they were marked down at Giant. I even made apple pie but after a while the apples just sat quietly in the fridge. I was cleaning the fridge one day and decided that something has to be done about the said fruit.



I browsed through the cooking blogs to see any interesting recipes that required apples. And ta-da! I found one. I admit I have watched many apple crumbles being baked on t.v and read quite a few recipes as well but I never bothered to try it. I've never eaten apple crumble either, mainly because baked apples with just a mere top of crumbs made of butter, sugar and flour doesn't sound appealing to me.
BUT ... the apple crumble recipe I found is not exactly like that, this one has pastry at the bottom! I think it is a half a crumble and half a pie recipe hence the name!



So here I will stop my ramblings about the tart fruit and continue with the recipe of this surprisingly delicious dessert! Good on its own or with a dash of whipped cream or a scoop or two of your favorite ice cream!



Apple Crumble Pie
source: Masam Manis Cooking with love




For the pastry
240g all purpose flour I used Tepung Gandum Blue Key)
170g butter (cubed)
2 Tbsp icing sugar
2 Tbsp iced water


Method




In a bowl, using a fork combine the flour and butter until the mixture resemble bread crumbs.












Then add in the iced water, a table spoon at a time. 
Use the fork to mix until dough becomes smooth.
Shape the dough into a ball and cover with cling wrap and chill for 30 mins.



For the filling
5 apples (I used a variety of apples, not all are green)
2 Tbsp butter
a pinch of salt 
the rind of one lemon (I skipped this part because tak ada lemon at home)
100g brown sugar (mine turned out a bit too sweet, so next time I think I'll lessen the sugar)
2 Tbsp corn flour

Method
Peel,  remove the core and slice apples thinly. In a pot, melt the sugar and butter before adding the apples.
I forgot and plonk all the apples in the pot, I cooked the butter, sugar and apples all at one go. Add in the corn flour when the sugar has melted.


Cook until the apples turn soft, carefully not too soft or it will be mushy.
The brownish liquid is the melted butter and sugar. Stir carefully until the liquid thickens. Switch off the fire and put aside to cool.


The Crumble
75g all purpose flour (I put only half the measurement of flour and added oats)
35g butter
35g castor sugar
35g chocolate chips (I didn't put any)


In a bowl, mix all the ingredients until it resembles bread crumbs. Put aside.



To assemble the apple crumble pie.

Roll out the chilled dough, to cover a 12" pie dish. Grease the pie dish with some butter or margarine.
Trim or tuck in the excess pie dough.



Next spoon in the apple filling.



Cover the apples as evenly as possible with the crumble mixture.


Bake for 15 min at 220 C and then lower the heat to 190 C and bake for another 45 min.
** I checked the recipe twice for the baking times, and I followed it faithfully but mine was almost burnt! Those little black dots you see aren't chocolate chips, but burned flour and oats bits!! Next time I will bake for just 30 min at 160 C.




Happy Baking.








No comments:

Post a Comment